Saturday, June 15, 2013

These Precious Years

My princess is the spittin' image of her father.  The moment she entered the world, my husband nicknamed her "Little Debra" after his twin sister.  She is a wiz on the softball field, can run like the wind, and has no time for other people's drama.  But she's MY daughter-- my only daughter-- and I love her something fierce.   I am determined not to lose her during these precious teenage years.  

My princess loves to play catch with her daddy-- that is how they bond.  She and I needed something different, something ours (preferably something I didn't suck at).  And so began our mother-daughter adventures.  Some are big and some are small; sometimes we have planned every second, and other times we are impulsive and spontaneous.  Often they aren't even "adventures" but rather shared experiences, conversations, or moments.  Whatever they are, I cherish every one, and I file them away, so when I look back on these years when my princess was a teenager, I will remember more laughter than tears.

4 comments:

  1. Where did you get your background for this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you wrote this introduction! I can tell how much you love your daughter through your writing. I love your idea of devoting time to your daughter and finding something special to share with here over the years. Something I always enjoyed with my mom was our time getting manicures and pedicures. My mom always liked it because I was away from my phone and focused all my attention on her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your idea for the blog is great. My wife and I are figuring out how to relate to our kids and how having two fits the mix. My son is definitely momma's boy, though he is warming up to me more lately. My daughter, however, is completely mine. It's kind of funny how they've pulled that reversal. Anyway, we've been experimenting with getting one on one time with each kid and having "date nights." I'm curious to see how your experiences play out, especially with older kids.

    ReplyDelete