Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Big Apple

On the cusp of her teen years, in the spring before she turned thirteen, my princess and I traveled together to New York City.  If you've never done a one-on-one trip with your kid (separately if you have more than one kid), I strongly recommend it.  There is something very special about embarking on an adventure-- just the two of you-- and seeing where it will take you. 

We went over spring break, and it was a little chilly.  My little sister joined us for part of the trip. 


We did all the things you're supposed to do when you visit New York City. 

 


We went to the Statue of Liberty.



We ate at Hard Rock Cafe.


We went to the top of the Empire State Building.

But mostly what we did was walk.  We walked and walked and walked.  We walked through Central Park, and to three different museums.  We walked down Park Avenue, and through ecclectic neighborhoods.  We stopped every day we were there and got a vanilla steamer (kind of like a hot chocolate but with vanilla). 

Sometimes we talked while we walked, and sometimes we just walked.  It didn't matter.  We figured out how to take the subway and navigate the city streets.  We were together, out in a big city, finding our way. 

On our last night we went to see the Lion King.  If you ask my princess, she'd probably say that was her favorite part of the trip.  That, and the vanilla steamers.  The Lion King was amazing-- maybe the best show I've ever seen.  But my favorite part was the walking with my girl. 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post Jennifer. How special to take a trip just with your daughter. That is something I hope to do with my own daughter some day. It's funny how it's the little things that seem to matter the most. I love how you said your favorite part was just walking with your girl. Such a sweet finishing line. She's so lucky to have a mom who takes her on such exciting adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post. It was so simple, yet meaningful. Your trip to New York reminds me of my trip to the Big Apple a couple summers ago with my roommate/best friend and our moms. It was a world-wind experience trying to fit everything into a couple days. I also have a younger brother and it was nice to spend some time with just my mom. Although, I have to say, when we got back home I should have planned a relaxing vacation after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, while I don't have any children of my own, I do have a mother who even now continues to spend time with me: mother and daughter. Just recently we took a trip to Cancun after her father, my grandfather passed. As you said, it's the small moments that we remember and cherish. You are developing a lifelong bond with your daughter that will continue into years ahead. Maybe one day you'll be sharing pina coladas with her in Cancun too!

    ReplyDelete