Friday, July 12, 2013

Feelings Film Festival

My princess is not very emotional.  She doesn't cry easily, and doesn't get into drama.  I tease that she has ice water running through her veins.  So last summer, I set out to find a movie that would make her cry (because what quality mother doesn't spend the summer trying to make her teenage daughter cry?)  I put my request on Facebook, and friends suggested the saddest movies of all time.  We watched them all summer.  Here are a few of the things I learned during this adventure. . .

1.  Although I've seen it dozens of times, the funeral scene in Steel Magnolias still makes me cry every time.  I have a guttural reaction to it, producing sobs that sound like a dying animal.  I'd like to say it's only because I am a mother, but I believe I reacted the same way almost 25 years ago, when the movie first came out. 

It does not, however, produce the same reaction in teenage girls.  At least not mine.

2.  Fried Green Tomatoes keeps its place on my Top 5 Movies of All Time.  It is funny, thoughtful, and sad, all the things a movie should be.  The cast is perfect, from Mary Stuart Masterson's maybe-lesbian hero, to Kathy Bates's insecure southern wife.  My daughter liked it, but didn't love it, and it didn't make her cry. 

3.  Most of the movies, in fact, did not make my princess cry. . . not Debra Winger's tearful death in Terms of Endearment, or Sophie's gut-wrenching choice.  It was the story of an eleven-year-old boy with an allergy to bees that finally touched her heart.  During the funeral scene in My Girl, I glanced at my daughter, who had tears streaming down her beautiful brown cheeks. 
It was good for me to see, to remember that despite how fast she's growing up, and how mature she sometimes seems to me, that my princess is still a little girl in many ways, and the death of a little boy would affect her more than the death of someone who probably seems old to her.  I'm glad now, looking back, that my girl is still just that.  

4 comments:

  1. I love the relationship you describe with your daughter, maybe because, it reminds me of the crazy, silly, sometimes strange things I do with my mom.

    Dare I say I'm glad that you accomplished your mission of making your daughter cry?! Watching her say goodbye to Thomas J. gets me every time and I'm the "ice queen" of my family.

    Keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've cried during a movie, but right at the moment, for the life of me, I cannot think of which one. I don't have any problem at all with laughing in a movie. I practically roll on the floor laughing every time I see Tootsie or Mickey and Maude. The new movie, The Heat, with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy had me in stitches! Also, The Internship, with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, is hilarious! Hmmm....I still...oh wait...I remember I cried when I watched the end of Dances With Wolves - the part where Dances With Wolves' friend shouts goodbye to him from the top of a cliff. I had big tears during that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate to your daughter. I am NOT a crier. There is only one movie that has ever made me cry. My mom calls be a cold-hearted b-word. :) (She is just being funny) I think it is great that you are taking the time to show your daughter that it is okay to show your emotions. This was a huge lesson for me to learn.

    I love how you shared which movies didn't make her cry. I was thinking the whole time about which movie would set her over the edge. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me want to go back and watch My Girl. Do you think that this was the movie to make her cry since it was about characters closer to her age? Just curious, did you ever try Marley and Me?

    ReplyDelete